The Summer Reading Program theme for 2013 is Dig into Reading. Reading is an important skill that will help your child in school and in life. Any kind of reading counts—comic books, magazines, picture books, chapter books, eBooks, too! Listening to a book on CD counts—and don’t forget to count when you read aloud to your child. We encourage families to read over the summer, while having a good time. On our website we have listed all the special events we will have over the summer. Below are the events for the month of July. (The full schedule is on the Programs for Children page.)
Children can still register for the reading program. When signing up, your child will set a goal of how many minutes they plan to read over the summer. Children will receive a reading record, with fill-in bubbles, to track their time, and a reading journal, to write down the titles of the books they have read, and make notes.
Children who reach their goal can bring in their reading record to collect prizes—we have coupons for ice cream cones from Stewarts, a kid’s meal at Applebee’s, and a peanut butter bagel from Bruegger’s! We now have tickets to the ValleyCats game on August 29–SouthPaw gave us lots of tickets!
- Storytime for ages 0-5 held TWICE A WEEK: Wednesday@ 4:00 pm, and Saturday at 11:00 am.
- Wednesday, August 7, @2:00 pm—BATS! You don’t know enough about these fascinating creatures of the night. Bat games and crafts, too! Presented by the Dyken Pond Environmental Education Center.
- Wednesday, August 14, @2:00 pm– the Tang Teaching Museum will be here to DIG INTO ART! Create a whimsical sculpture—the Tang’s programs are always fun!
- Wednesday, August 21, @2:00 pm— Animal Tales with CMOST/ the Children’s Museum of Science and Technology, where we meet the live animal stars from some of your favorite storybooks. Together we will read their stories, meet the animal stars and then learn about their real lives in this exciting animal story hour.
- Wednesday, August 28th, @4:00 pm—End of Summer Reading Program PARTY, with Dirt Cake and GAMES!